The Lord is my shepherd

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. - Psalm 23:1

The representation of God as a shepherd is like the comparison of the psalmist and a sheep. The psalmist doesn’t want in this stance to insist the stupidity and sinfulness of humankind. The psalmist merely admires the wonder of the Lord God when the only comment may be, “I shall not want.” Shelterless in times of troubles, sadness, longings, disappointment, etc… all this atrocities in life - where are we going to turn our head off?

The psalmist is familiar with the shepherd’s experience and competence. During the heat of our life, the psalmist knows that Lord we worship, who has everything in and of Himself, is our shepherd. God is our shepherd. He will provide, protect, and guide his sheep. The shepherd promises that He will feed his flock, He shall gather the lambs with his arms, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are young (Isaiah 40:11). The sense of His promises cultivates the spirit of assured dependence upon our heavenly Father.

What else shall I want? The Lord is now my shepherd, who supplies all my needs, which is surely be able and willing to do so. How can I ask more? If my shepherd heart is full of love – shall I want something else? No “I shall not want” His love is enough for me to put my confidence upon Him. I know that his grace will be sufficient for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home